can i drink coffee while wearing my invisalign trays? no – and here’s why!
If you love coffee, you may be wondering if you can drink it while wearing your Invisalign trays. The short answer? No, it’s not a good idea. The long answer? Read on, and find out more in this blog from Smileform Dentistry.
UNDERSTANDING THE REASONS YOU SHOULDN’T DRINK COFFEE WHILE WEARING INVISALIGN
So, why shouldn’t you drink coffee while wearing Invisalign? Here are just a few reasons.
- You’ll stain your trays – Coffee can stain the clear plastic that’s used to build Invisalign trays. This means that your trays will start to look yellow or even brown if you drink coffee while wearing them, and they’ll become obvious on your teeth.
- You could stain your teeth – A small amount of coffee will be trapped between your trays and teeth. This prolonged contact means you have a higher risk of staining your teeth, too.
- You could warp your trays – The plastic used for trays is heat-sensitive. And if you like to drink piping hot coffee, this could warp your Invisalign trays, leading to an improper fit and treatment delays.
- You’ll have a higher risk of cavities – Even when you take it black, coffee is naturally acidic, which means it can contribute to cavities. And if you take your coffee with cream and sugar, you’ll end up with a lot of sugar-rich coffee trapped in your trays, which dramatically raises your risk of cavities.
WHAT OTHER FOOD AND DRINKS SHOULD I AVOID WHILE WEARING INVISALIGN?
All of them! You can’t chew anything while wearing your trays, and should take them out to eat any kind of food or snack. Chewing while wearing your trays will definitely damage them. Take them out to eat, no matter what!
You also shouldn’t drink anything except water with Invisalign. We recommend tap water, since it has fluoride that helps protect your teeth. Pretty much any non-clear beverage can stain your trays. So if you’re drinking anything other than water, you’ll need to take out your trays.
TIPS FOR ENJOYING COFFEE AND OTHER BEVERAGES DURING INVISALIGN TREATMENT
Whether it’s coffee, wine, or any other drink, here’s how you can enjoy your favorite beverages safely while you’re being treated with Invisalign:
- Take out your trays and store them safely – Take out your trays and put them in the carrying case. This ensures you don’t damage or misplace them while you’re enjoying your morning coffee.
- Brush your teeth and rinse your trays after enjoying – A quick brush removes staining liquids and sugar from your teeth. Rinsing your trays also helps keep them fresh and clean.
- Drink your beverages more quickly – Instead of sipping coffee and other beverages slowly, try to drink them faster. This minimizes the amount of time that your trays spend out of your mouth, and speeds up your treatment!
INTERESTED IN INVISALIGN IN NEWTOWN SQUARE? CONTACT SMILEFORM DENTISTRY TODAY!
At Smileform Dentistry, Dr. Inna Solovey is an experienced Invisalign provider in Newtown Square and the nearby areas. If you’re interested in the benefits of a straighter, healthier smile, we’re here to help. Contact us online or give us a call at (267) 692-2922 to schedule an orthodontic consultation and see if Invisalign is right for you.